Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Food Trip Friday 014: Arepa de Venezuela



Hello, dear FoodTrippers. My consultancy jobs are over and I am now back and ready for more foodtrips! This week I am featuring something I made borne out of a challenge by my dear Venezuelan friend, Luis Manuel. It's called arepa, a traditional delicacy and considered the national bread of Venezuela. It was my first time to make arepa when I accepted Luis Manuel's challenge and was excited to see if I could pull it off.

Arepa is a corn-based snack, made from corn flour, baked and lightly fried, and served with a multitude of fillings. For examples, combinations of black beans and meat; mashed mayonnaise, chicken and avocado; scrambled eggs with peppers tomatoes and onions, and a lot more. Arepas are surprisingly easy to make. You mix the corn flour with salt and water, cook it on a griddle and stuff it with whatever you have on hand. In my case, at that time, I had left over fried chicken and coleslaw salad. When my arepa "buns" are done, I scooped out a bit of the insides and spread butter on and stuffed them with my chicken-coleslaw filling and sprinkled with a bit of mozzarella cheese. Yum! These delicious self-contained arepas are excellent for breakfast, lunch or dinner. For me, arepas filled my hungry stomach up instantly.

arepa

In the future, I will make experiments to improve my arepa (prevent it from being dry) and cook up more yummy fillings. I hope Luis Manuel was here to sample the results, and I wonder if I would have gotten a passing grade? My husband, although it was his first time to eat arepas, said it wasn't bad at all.



9 comments:

ms firefly said...

yum! that looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Wow!!! I bet your arepas taste delicious!!! Thanks for your effort and kindness to mention me on your blog...

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

Welcome back to FoodTripFriday and wow! never heard of that kind of bread before and I do agree that not only it looks delish but also it taste superb!!(I can tell! *wink* )

Amy said...

murag lami jud ni kaau cya. ikaon nalang ko diha dae sarah:)

agent112778 said...

very interesting food

my entry is here


Great day for us Food Weekenders:)

Thanx for the Visit :)

Clarissa said...

That's something new,Sreisaat!!I haven't tasted that kind of bread and I'm sure it will fill my hungry stomach,too!!Yum!!\(^0^)/

ps:the local drink is called RAMUNE,usually seen/sold during summer and festivals.I think in english they're called lemonade.They have many flavour of the drinks,too.
forgive my late reply,umuwi kasi kami sa bukid ng tralala lol!Ingat dear!!^_^

Sreisaat said...

Oh Clarissa, you are an angel! Ramune it is called, indeed =) I love, love it. My Japanese friend and fellow blogger Kazumi introduced me to okonomiyaki and ramune.
Please, no apologies necessary. I know how busy you'd be.
Salamat!

Amy said...

hi guapa.. salamat sa bisita:)

here's the recipe of my crevettes à la créme: http://www.easycooking.kalidadis.com/2009/12/crevettes-la-creme.html

Sreisaat said...

Salamat, Ate Amy! Tungod sa imong tabang, makahibaw na jud ko ani sa French cuisine hehehehhe.